West Frankfort police chief resigns | News
WEST FRANKFORT, IL (KFVS)- West Frankfort's police chief has resigned.
Mayor Tom Jordan says effective January 23 at 8 a.m., Police Chief Jeff Tharp resigned
Officer Tharp will return to the department at the rank he held prior to his promotion, according to the
Illinois State Statutes.
Jordan says he met with Police Commissioner Jerry Harkins and Tharp Wednesday morning in his office.
The mayor says it was an emotional meeting
in which Tharp expressed a desire to spend more time away from the department, and being attached to his cell phone.
Mayor Jordan says he wants to thank Tharp for years of dedicated service as police chief.
Officer Shawn Talluto has been asked to fill in as acting chief until the city council can meet.
Mayor Jordan says they will make a final decision about who will
be the next chief at their next city council meeting on February 12.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Franklin County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect