Ill. senate president to address closure of Tamms | News
BENTON, IL (KFVS) - The president of the Illinois state senate will be in Benton, Illlinois on Monday to address the upcoming closure of Tamms prison.
Senate President John Cullerton will be joined by State Senator Gary Forby on the steps of the Franklin County Courthouse Monday at 2 p.m.
“I’ve been fighting hard, alongside other southern Illinois legislators, to keep all of our downstate facilities open,” Forby said. “But it takes the support of many other legislators throughout our state to make this happen. To have the support of the Senate President, and to have him stand alongside of me in the heart of my district, is a very big step in the right direction.”
John Cullerton, who represents Illinois 6th District, has been Senate President since 2009.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Franklin County Stories
Upcoming Events near Franklin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect