Don't let mosquitoes hamper backyard plans | News
CARMI, IL (KFVS)- Springtime is the time of the year for outdoor activities, and the beginning of mosquito season.
Here are some tips from the Egyptian Health Department in Carmi, Illinois you can use to prevent mosquito's putting a damper on your spring and summer backyard plans:
-Properly cover or dispose of old tires. Old, rimless tires are prime breeding ground for mosquitoes.
-Get rid of artificial containers such as cans, buckets, bottles or any other container that holds water.
-Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash.
-Keep trash containers covered to keep out rain.
-Empty or change the water in wading pools and birdbaths at least weekly.
-Keep the grass cut short and shrubbery well trimmed around the house.
According to the health department, mosquitoes must have an opportunity to breed in stagnant water and it takes about a week for their larvae to mature into adults.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Franklin County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect