ISP releases Union Pacific railroad crossing detail | Events
(KFVS) - The Union Pacific Railroad, the Illinois State Police and local law enforcement agencies are partnering in an effort to lower fatalities at railroad crossings in the Illinois State Police District 13 area.
Even one of these tragic events is too many. Highway-rail crash statistics for 2012 indicate that Illinois had 89 crashes at public crossings. Twenty five people were killed and another 34 seriously injured. Illinois has over 7,300 miles of track with 7,780 public crossings and 4,536 private crossings.
Here are some other national statistics courtesy of the Illinois Commerce Commission's Operation Lifesaver website:
- 333 - Number in millions of vehicles that cross railroad tracks every day.
- 270 - Number of people killed in 2012 at highway-rail grade crossing collisions.
- 442 - Number of people killed in 2012 trespassing on railroad property.
- 18 - Number of football fields it takes a freight train, traveling at 55mph, to stop.
- 50 - Percentage of vehicle/train collisions that occur at crossings with active warning devices (lights, gates, bells).
- 212,600 - Approximate number of at-grade highway-rail crossings in the U.S.
- 40 - Times you are more likely to die in a crash with a train than you are to die in an automobile crash.
- 3 - Average time, in hours, between each incident where a vehicle or pedestrian is struck by a train.
A Railroad Crossing Fatality Reduction detail will be conducted on Thursday, June 20. The Union Pacific Railroad and the Illinois State Police are inviting you to a press briefing prior to the detail. The briefing location will be in the railroad yard located in West Frankfort at the intersection of St. Louis Street and the Union Pacific Railroad.
The briefing will be held at 8 a.m. Union Pacific officials are inviting the media to ride an engine during the detail as well.
For further information or questions regarding the ride along, please contact Detective Steve Ray of the Union Pacific Railroad at 573-450-9803.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.