Spring Wildflowers in Shawnee National Forest featured on national map | Environment
(KFVS) - The U.S. Forest Service has released an updated online wildflower map with hundreds of locations on national forests for prime wildflower viewing.
The forest service says the wildflower map includes 317 wildflower viewing areas on National Forest System lands and can be referenced by specific states, individual national forests and geographic regions. They say four of these areas are highlighted on the Shawnee National Forest.
"This updated map provides visitors a quick guide to find locations and best viewing times for the spectacular natural beauty of wild flowers on national forests," said Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell. "This is one more way folks can experience the bounty of natural surroundings."
The map is part of the agency's Celebrating Wildflowers website which includes more than 10,000 plant images and information about the aesthetic, recreational, biological, medicinal and economic values of native plants.
Wildflower areas located in the Shawnee National Forest that are found on the map include:
- Bell Smith Springs Recreation Area
- LaRue Pine Hills
- Pounds Hollow Ecological Area
- Simpson Township Barrens
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Franklin County Stories
Upcoming Events near Franklin County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect