Frankfort, Ill. sets date for Halloween events | Community Spirit
FRANKLIN COUNTY, IL (KFVS) - The West Frankfort City Council has set October 31 as the date for Trail of Treats and trick or treating.
The Trail of Treats will be held from 4 to 5 p.m. and the trick or treating hours will be from 5 to 8 p.m.
The West Frankfort Police Department wants everyone to have an enjoyable and safe Halloween and has provided some safety tips and reminders for parents and children:
- Never go into a stranger's house or ring their door for treats unless a parent or guardian is present and says it's okay.
- Be careful when crossing a street. Be sure to look both ways and make sure that there are no cars coming.
- Never cut through back alleys or fields.
- Don't eat any treats until a parent or guardian has examined them.
- Make sure children carry flashlights or glow sticks or have reflective tape on their costume to make them highly visible to cars.
- Parents should help young children pick out or make a costume that is safe. Make sure that it is fire proof or treated with fire retardant. If the child is wearing a mask of any kind, make sure the eye holes are large enough for good peripheral vision.
- If your children are old enough to go out without supervision, be sure to set a time they should be home.
- Explain to children the difference between tricks and vandalism.
West Frankfort Chief of Police, Jeff Tharp, says it is important to know that there are 19 registered sex offenders in the city of West Frankfort.
State Law provides that as a condition of probation, conditional discharge, parole, or mandatory supervised release, a sex offender cannot participate in a holiday event involving children under 18 years of age, such as handing out candy on Halloween.
Tharp has provided the most current list of registered sex offenders and their addresses in the West Frankfort area:
- John K. Behner, 1712 E. Poplar St.
- William R. Brooks, 1218 E. Oak St.
- Allen C. Chandler, 204 N. Douglas St.
- Ronald W. England, 511 S. Russell St.
- Douglas Flanagan, 507 N. Anna St.
- Matthew A. Goldsberry, 406 S. Dorris St.
- Kristopher D. Gross, 1901 E. Garland St.
- Randall R. Hall, 303 N. Logan St.
- James M. Hanson, 501 E. 5th St. Apt. C
- John D. Harrawood, 901 N. Jefferson St.
- Derrick L. Jarvis, 111 W. 9th St. Apt. 2
- Jeremy A. Jerls, 222 E. Main St.
- Frankie R. Martin, 609 N. Emma St.
- Brian E. Moore, 806 S. Monroe St.
- Jacob D. Ridge, 601 S. Taft St.
- Walter R. Steinberger, 308 W. 8th St. Apt. 3
- Robert D. Stout, 303 E. 5th St.
- Roger D. Walters, JR, 1001 E. Elm St.
- Terryl J. Wills, 1106 E. Oak St.
You can find the list online at www.isp.state.il.us/sor.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.