IDNR celebrates Earth Day in the Parks | Community Spirit
(KFVS) - The Illinois Department of Natural Resources says more than 875 students will visit the Illinois Department of Natural Resources state parks in April and May for the 6th Annual Earth Day in the Parks event.
Earth Day in the Parks is an initiative of the IDNR to introduce students to environmental stewardship.
"Students participating in Earth Day in the Parks will have an opportunity to perform meaningful natural resources stewardship activities, including planting trees, planting native wildflowers, developing amphibian breeding pools, building and installing fish attractors and a number of other activities," said IDNR Director Marc Miller.
Sponsored by the IDNR Office of Strategic Services and Office of Land Management, Earth Day offers students the chance to get outdoors and work in nature. Students and teachers are encouraged to return to the park to study the effects of their work.
“We believe that participating schools realize that this is more than just a field trip. This is an investment in the future generation of conservationists,” said Director Miller. “We hope that these students will continue to visit the parks, not only to check on the success of their projects, but perhaps to volunteer and develop a personal connection to a natural place.”
The list of Earth Day in the Parks sites, dates and participating schools include:
- Argyle Lake State Park (640 Argyle Park Road, Colchester, Ill.) – May 2 (morning), Southeastern High School, Augusta. Time: TBD. Phone: 309-776-3422
- Argyle Lake State Park (640 Argyle Park Road, Colchester, Ill.) – May 2 (afternoon), Astoria High School, Astoria. Time: TBD. Phone: 309-776-3422
- Beall Woods State Park (9285 Beall Woods Avenue, Mount Carmel, Ill.) – May 2 Red Hill High School, Bridgeport. Time: 9 a.m. to noon. Phone: 618-298-2442
- Beall Woods State Park (9285 Beall Woods Avenue, Mount Carmel, Ill.) – May 3 Grayville High School, Grayville. Time: 9 a.m. to noon. Phone: 618-298-2442
- Cache River State Natural Area (930 Sunflower Lane, Belknap, Ill.) – April 13 Dongola High School, Dongola. Time: 10 a.m. to noon. Phone: 618-634-9678
- Clinton Lake State Recreation Area (725 1900 East, DeWitt, Ill.) – April 18 Booker T. Washington STEM Academy, Champaign and Milligan Academy, Decatur. Time: 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Phone: 217-935-8722
- Eldon Hazlet State Park (20100 Hazlet Park Rd., Carlyle, Ill.) – May 2 Lebanon High School, Lebanon and Mulberry Grove Junior High, Mulberry Grove. Time: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Phone: 618-594-3015
- Eldon Hazlet State Park (20100 Hazlet Park Rd., Carlyle, Ill.) – May 2 Carlyle High School, Carlyle. Time: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Phone: 618-594-3015
- Ferne Clyffe State Park (Rt. 37, P.O. Box 10, Goreville, Ill.) – May 1 Goreville CUSD #1, Goreville. Time: 9 a.m. to noon. Phone: 618-995-2411
- Fort Massac State Park (1308 East 5th Street, Metropolis, Ill.) – April 27 Franklin Elementary School, Metropolis and Unity Elementary School, Brookport. Time: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Phone: 618-524-4712
- Fox Ridge State Park (18175 State Park Road, Charleston, Ill.) – April 18 Arcola High School, Arcola. Time: 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Phone: 217-345-6416
- IDNR Headquarters (One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, Ill.) – April 26 Cornell Grade School, Cornell and Carlinville Primary School, Carlinville. Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Phone: 217-524-4126
- Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish & Wildlife Area (10149 County Hwy. 11, Chandlerville, Ill.) - April 12 Astoria High School, Astoria. Time: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Phone: 217-452-7741
- Jubilee College State Park (13921 West Route 150, Brimfield, Ill.) – April 17 Brimfield Grade School, Brimfield and Kiefer School, Peoria. Time: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Phone: 309-446-3758
- Mermet Lake Conservation Area (1812 Grinnell Road, Belknap, Ill.) – April 20 Metropolis, Jefferson and Franklin Elementary Schools, Metropolis. Time: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Phone: 618-524-5577
- Pyramid State Recreation Area (1562 Pyramid Park Rd., Pinckneyville, Ill.) – April 25 St. Bruno School, Pinckneyville. Time: 10 a.m. to noon. Phone: 618-357-2574
- Rock Island State Trail (311 East Williams, P.O. Box 64, Wyoming, Ill.) – April 18 Dunlap Grade School, Dunlap. Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Phone: 309-695-2228
- Trail of Tears State Forest (3240 State Forest Road, Jonesboro, Ill.) – April 17 Anna-Jonesboroo High School, Anna. Time: 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Phone: 618-833-4910
- Tunnel Hill State Trail (Highway 146 East, P.O. Box 671, Vienna, Ill.) – May 2 Brookport Elementary School, Brookport. Time: TBD Phone: 618-658-2168
- Volo Bog State Natural Area (Brandenburg Road, Ingleside, Ill.) – April 19 Matthews Middle School, Island Lake. Time: Noon to 2:30 p.m. Phone: 815-344-1294
- Weldon Springs State Park (4734 Weldon Springs Rd., Clinton, Ill.) – May 3 Washington-Monroe Elementary School, Lincoln and Thomasboro Grade School, Thomasboro. Time: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Phone: 217-935-2644
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Franklin County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 3 arrested in connection with residential burglaries of elderly in Mt. Vernon
- Rend Lake College Class of '13 crosses stage at 46th Commencement
- Mt. Vernon hospital honors employees for longevity of service
- Mt. Vernon man sentenced to 40 years for sex assault of child
- Mt. Vernon police looking for robbery suspect