WEST CITY, IL (KFVS)-A West City family is homeless after an early morning fire on Friday.
The Gray family awoke shortly before 4:45 a.m. to smoke in their house.
Jamie Gray says she had woke up a few moments before and started their dryer to finish drying their clothes from the night before.
"My husband told me to get up, get our son and get out of the house. Get the dogs, let's go," Gray said.
"As I went to my son's room on the other end of the hallway, I looked in the bathroom through the crack in the door. I could see an orange color. Not thinking I opened the door and there were flames coming up above where my dryer is in the bathroom."
The family made it out alive, so did their two dogs but not their son's hamster.
The dryer cord is being blamed on sparking the fire.
Now, the family is asking why their house went up in flames when they live right across the street from the city's volunteer fire department.